Thursday, August 26, 2010

adiNation of Runners KLCC: How I ran a PB

On Wednesday I was informed that we are doing a 3 lap time trial. This is in preparation for the Newton Pacemakers Relay No 6 this Sunday. I got to our meeting place before 6 pm. I saw Woei Jie who was the super photographer which the most elaborate Nikon equipments I have ever seen.


Our Meeting Place at KLCC Park every Thursday. All our bags and drinks are placed under the Blue Signage
That's Woei Jie in green. He helped me to take the shots from my Canon as my assigned phtographer was late. These are the poses in the latest Pacemakers Malaysia running vest.


Latest Pacemakers Malaysia Vest

The Back of Vest
As I wanted to take the T shirt version , my camera battery died on me. So have to wait till this Sunday to take the T shirts..I am doing this as a favour for PM1 as he needs to put the pics up in his blog.

My previous 3 lap best time was 18min 25 sec..So I set a target of sub 18 min this time. My strategy was to do 6min 20sec for 1st lap, 6 min for the 2nd lap and sub 5 min 40sec for the final lap.

I knew I needed to warm up as much as possible..So I started with the slowest possible lap of 1.3 km with the time of 8min 30 sec , then slowly increased to 7min 53 sec. By the time I finished the 2nd lap, I saw the whole gang was there and started warming up. My third and fourth lap was 7min 37sec and 7 min 15sec. The total  time of warm up was 31min 17 sec..(Average per lap 7min 34sec)

Then the race began...

There were 15 of us starting at the 800 tracker distance marker as usual. I tried to keep up with the pack..Lionel Lee who turned bare foot runner on that day, Ronnie and Shafiz was in front as usual. Then the 2nd group of Fong, Lai, Chee Ming, Andy, Calvin, Dominick and Daniel. I kept this 2 groups in sight.. I finished in the first lap in 5min 28 sec. I knew I was too fast.

Then in the second lap, I began to take the toll of the 1st lap. My breathing was getting harder. I tried to maintained my stride and land on fore foot most of the time. However, I still managed to overtake the 2nd group one by one except for Fong. He zoomed ahead of  me like the wind. My time for the 2nd lap was 5 min 44sec. That when I know my splits are all over the place. If only I had better mental strength.

For my last lap the 3 persons ahead was Lionel, Ronnie and Fong. I kept them in sight all the time. Lionel and Ronnie zoomed ahead through halfway at the last lap. I only have Fong as my marker from The Binjai Condo onwards. I have no intention of over taking him. That's because I knew that my PB is safely in my pocket.We maintained a distance of 10m till finish. I completed my last lap in 5 min 36sec.

The total time for 3 laps was 16 min 49 sec. My average lap was also 5 min 36 sec similar as my last lap. My average pace was 4min 18sec /km.

I was estatic as usual and when I looked at Ronnie splits..I thought to myself perhaps negative splits doesn't count in a short sprint?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulation Mr. PB cum FM98.8 Look forward to reading more of your running story...please keep the machine hot all time :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. Thanks very much,,Mr Henry

    ReplyDelete