Monday, August 30, 2010

Newton Pacemakers Relay No 6 : Let's hear it for the girls

I have never participated in a relay (except in training). As they say it is more exciting than a individual race. The NPar6 relay was opened in few months back. I advertised in my FB and the first to respond was Geet Kandiah. We climbed Mount Kinabalu together in Apr this year and she was the first girl to reach the summit.

Geet on the way to Laban Rata in Mount Kinabalu
Then I called my friend Suki Tang and Eunice Toh  and they both agreed.
Taiping Heritage Run 2010

I know it will be competitive, so instead of fighting for position..let's me it a fun run. I told them not to worry about the position. Most teams are 3 boys and a girl...so we just need to beat any team with more than 1 guy ..that's all...

Since I am the Captain.. I can get to choose the team's name and with the support of Eunice, we named ourselves James Bond 007 so that they can be Bond girls..

Me and my previous Bond girls

Eventually Suki had to pull out and she got her fellow Bukit Jalil kaki..Britanny Lim to stand in for her..and Britanny pull in her good friend Yuen Hoong Chin..This is the pic of our first training in the Metropolitan Park on 15th Aug...

Hoong, Me, Zenon, Eunice and Jet
We have some supporters from Germany and Kepong too. Sorry, Geet was late trying to locate the Metropolitan Park and therefore not in the pix above. Thank God all us found it on the 15th Aug.

Owing to miscommunication with PM1, we practised the WRONG direction twice. On that day Hoong was the leader in completing the loop in 15:30, I was 15:40 . Eunice managed a 20min and Geet 22min.

Geet felt bad and wanted to pull out. I assured her that it all for fun and asked to stay on.

We had a second session on the 22nd Aug. In retrospect , our on site training really helped our actual day as we get to familiarise with the terrain.

Eunice did her 1st sub 20min then and Geet improved to 21min.

Race Day

Geet was the first to arrive at 615am. We met at my car and decided our running position ...Eunice shall be 1st runner, I will be the 2nd runner , Geet will be third and Hoong shall be anchor. We warmed up around the race site about 2 times, then we ran in the loop in the right direction...finally.. Total distance was 4.5km in 31:30min.

Ms Brittany Lim and her sifu Mr Tang also came to support us. We are very touched by their presence.

Eunice started and came back in her record time of 18min 20sec. Her PB definately. She was in the 18th position.

Taking Over from Eunice
I took over and speed ahead but kept telling myself to pace. I overtook a few in the beginning. Then after all the hills I was already burnt out but kept pushing.  I tried intervals by picking up alternate lamp posts. Lastly I saw runner no 12B ..he was the last person I wanted to overtake. I did.

After overtaking 12B..Storm Runners
Then I almost fizzled out and suddenly Bro Tey Eng Tiong shouted...He overtook me..
Being Overtook by Storm Runners 12B

It was the end of the blue track..So on the uphill climb to to finishing I emptied my fuel tank and eventually overtook him ...
<>
Passing the baton to Geet

Geet ran the race of her life and she back in sun 20min..19min 53sec to be exact. She was grateful to Brittany and Mr Tang for pacing her. Her heart rate has gone up to the sky.

Hoong  took over and came in a good time of 14: 40..We finished the race of 13.2 km in 67min 15sec.

This is our summary:-

Eunice Toh  18:20 --> 18:20 Position in Race = 18
KK Yum      14:22-->  32:42 Position in Race = 12
Geetha         19:53-->  52:35 Position in Race = 20
Hoong          14:40-->  67:15 Overall Position = 19

41 teams competed and we were at the TOP HALF at all times..We were racing with sub 3 hours marathoners and I am proud of my team members.. Like many things in life, we can't do it alone...

Hoong, Mr Tang, Britanny, Eunice, Geet and I

3 comments:

  1. Great report.

    Relay has always been fun. glad you gals enjoy yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geet definitely ran the race of her life!! I felt completely unFIT and disliked every person who overtook me. Thx to Ms Lim and Mr Tang for their support, otherwise my timing would have been more pathetic! KK, what an experience to remember. Climbing Mount Kinabalu was way easier than this 3.3km run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the Captain for the motivations!! We all had a great run!!!

    ET

    ReplyDelete