Monday, August 16, 2010

My Virgin Marathon

I select my first posting to be on my virgin marathon and here it goes..

I was reminded by a gym friend late last year of the coming runs for the year 2010. He especially informed me about the coming Hong Kong marathon that is coming up late Feb 2010. So, when I log on the website in early November, the registration was already opened.


I have done a couple of halfs but never attempted a full marathon. This is because for me, the full seemed to be such a mythical and unattainable distance. I was so tempted to do the full marathon mainly because the route passes through 3 magnificent bridges. The bridges are the Stonecutter Bridge which is a new bridge just opened in December 2009, the Tsing Ma Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge that leads to the new territory.

The Magnificent Stone Cutter Bridge
I arrived in Hong Kong on a Thursday evening during the cool season and it wasn’t as cool as I thought. I was prepared with sweaters and gloves that I brought for my race. Perhaps it was the excitement of the race; I woke at 5 am the next day. I didn’t know what to do, so I decide to take the first train to Kowloon which is the starting point of the race and check on the time. It only took me 20 minutes to get to Kowloon from Northpoint in Hong Kong Island where I was staying. I was at Kowloon park by 630am. That was good as my race will start on 715am on Sunday and the organizer will not permit anyone to start the race after 7 25am. I had a slow jog in Kowloon Park that morning looking at retirees doing tai chi and walkabouts. That was my last run for about 30 minutes and I took the star ferry back to the island.


At HK Disneyland
So instead of roaming the streets of Hong Kong, I decided to go to Disneyland on Friday. There was still walking and standing in line but whenever, I get a chance I will park myself in a bench be it taking photos or looking at the parade. I was so tired on Friday due to the early mornings and the amusement rides at Disney. I dozed off at 9pm. That was a good as I know I will not be able to sleep well the following night. 
Collection of Bib
I woke up fresh on Saturday at 9am. It was a blissful 12 hour sleep and looking back, I think it helped me on race day. I went to collect my race day pack at Victoria Park which is only 2 underground stations away from my hotel.



Sorting out race packs
In fact, it was like another day in the park with people strolling by. I made proud to queue in the full marathon queue for the 1st time. Volunteers were packing goody bags in the sun and as for me; these are the real heroes of the race.

Finishing Gantry
I tried to sleep by 10pm but it was difficult. I found my self awake by 130am and I look out the window, they were already started closing the road. The 10 km race starts at the Eastern Corridor which is right in front of my hotel. By 2 am, there were no cars on the road.

I was woken up by 2 alarm clocks and the hotel reception at 5 am. Had my shower and breakfast and saw the first group of the 10km running in front of my hotel. The Hong Kong government make sure that the first underground trains starts at 330am in order to bring people to the starting line. That was a good effort by the authorities.

The view from my hotel room showing the 10km race at the Eastern Corridor in Hong Kong Island
I took my train at 610am and arrived at Kowloon Park slightly after 630am. There were so many people and there were more than 30 trucks waiting for luggage deposit.  By the time I finishing queuing, I just barely had enough time for my last toilet break. I look around for water stations and  found it down Kimberly Street and drank from the paper cups. I squeezed myself at the sides of the starting pen. By then my heart was pounding with excitement with the hope that everything will go well.

Starting Gantry at Nathan Road
The flag off time was 715am and with much fanfare too. The honourable Donald Tsang did the flag off. Confetti was flying every where.
My first time running through the streets of Hong Kong and I passed the Baden Powell house in my first km. Then on to the Olympic Station and to the Western Corridor which is the highway to the airport. We were directed to the 1st left turn and on to the stone cutter island. It was a climb from street level to an elevation of 80m.
<>
Tsing Ma Bridge
So many local runners stopped and took photograph because this is a new route and a new bridge. It was opened not more than 3 months. As for me, my 1st toilet call happened on the bridge and I queue for the mobile toilet.
Nam Wan Tunnel: the 1st of 3 tunnels
Stone Cutter is a cable stayed bridge pretty much like the Penang Bridge. The feeling of running on it was magnificent. I can see tankers going below the bridge. The mid span of the bridge is the marker for Km 8. We crossed the stone cutter bridge to go from Stone Cutter Island to Tsing Yi Island. From the bridge, we head to the stone cutter/Nam Wan tunnel. It was a straight 2km down hill tunnel. This is the first of the 3 tunnels in the race.
 
After we exit the stone cutter bridge, we can see the grand Tsing Yi Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge.

The 1st turning to Tsing Ma Bridge is at km 15. Tsing Ma is a suspension bridge that is even longer than the Golden Gate. We had to do a U turn on the bridge.

After we exit Tsing Ma Bridge, we have to turn to the Ting Kau Bridge that leads to the new territories. The half turning point of the race is at the U turn of the bridge. I reach my 21.1km mark at 2 hr 19 min. It was much slower than my usual half marathon time but then again I am not running a half marathon. I have another half marathon to go.

They feeding us bananas and chocolate bars by then and some really stop to eat and enjoyed the view from the bridge. The highest elevation of the race is at the Ting Kau Bridge which is 90m from sea level.

By now, I have experienced all the 3 bridges of the Hong Kong Marathon. Now onto my second tunnel which is the Tseung Tsing tunnel which leads to Tsing Yi satellite town. .

After we exit the Tseung Ching tunnel, it was an elevated highway all the way. I saw the IFC tower and thought it that Hong Kong Island is near. In actual fact this was the new IFC tower that they built on Kowloon side. The highest 5 star hotel in the world will occupy the top 15 storey of this building.

It was still a long way to go and I only the 26km marker. I chase for time because I wanted to do a sub 5 hour marathon. I know it’s within my reach. So I chased for the time for the 30km mark. I managed to clear the 30km in 3 hr 29 min. I was so happy and really thought I can do the next 12.2 km in 1 hr 30min. That was when the torture began...

After the 30km mark, I slower down and felt my heel is aching. It could have been worse if not for my titanium tapes I stuck on my calves and knees. It was a mental race from then on. The 30km to 34km was rather flat as we were on the elevated highway. I was in pain and said to myself never again a full marathon.

Then it slopes down from 34km and I can see the last tunnel of the race, the Western Cross Harbour tunnel, a sub sea tunnel that links Hong Kong and Kowloon. As the saying goes, whatever that goes down must come up (or is it the other way around). I ran to the bottom of bottoms at 37km mark which is actually 30m below sea level. I had my third power gel at that point.

The Climb at the Western Cross Harbour Tunnel
From the lowest point of the cross harbour tunnel, it’s a 3km climb to surface and a climb round the elevated flyover like we encounter in the putrajaya run. Welcome, to Hong Kong. This is the home stretch.

I saw SheungWan and passed the Shun Tak Centre. The 2nd last drink station is here and we pass the business district at Central. They didn’t close the road completely. By then, I was running next to traffic jam. One more small tunnel and up to the side road away from traffic.

I passed the City Hall and my leg screamed pain. Then to Wan Chai, saw the Hong Kong Red Cross and the Hong Kong Performing Arts Centre. Then the grand Hong Kong Exhibition and convention centre built for the 1997 handover.

Then my last km, I skip the last drink station before the turn at Marsh Road. I had 12minutes to run my last km. Then, I saw another fly over at Marsh road. I was swearing then.

Finally down the flyover, into Causeway bay. I heard crowds around me but I was in zombie mode. I passed Sogo and the right turn into Victoria Park. I was chasing this Caucasian girl and over took her.

I saw the clock. The time shown was 5 hr 00min20 sec. My heart sank. I didn’t bother to push anymore. I took my time with people passing me. I didn’t cared .I was at the verge of tears at the last 50m. Then I composed myself and held myself together. I pass the line with a time of 5 hr 01 min 06 sec with a victory pose.

I was given my well deserved medal. I have ran a good 42.195km. 28 Feb 2010…the magical day I lost my marathon virginity.

When I crossed the finishing line, I changed my mind of not wanting doing another marathon. I will do another one. When I heard the evening news, I found how tough the day has been for some. They were expecting temperature of 16-18celcius and on the day of the race it was 24 Celsius and humidity was more than 90%. 55 persons were admitted to hospital and 3 were in critical condition. The Kenyan who won the marathon again said that this was his toughest race ever and his time was 5 minutes slower than the year before.

Now that I have conquered the marathon, I know there’s nothing I cannot do if I put my heart and soul into it. That faithful day gave me courage to do bigger things in life.




5 comments: